Florida Sea Kayak Association
What we're about
Welcome to the Florida Sea Kayak Association Meetup (FSK-Me) website! We are a sea kayak club that uses Meetup as a communication and scheduling tool. Some of our members have been in the club over 19 years.
Our members have varied experience and interests. We are a paddling club. We paddle the ocean, ICW, rivers, and lakes. We have short trips and long trips. Some trips have lots of paddlers and some only a few. We encourage our paddlers to improve their skills, stamina and distances. We have sponsored skills training, assisted rescue training (scheduled and unscheduled), guest speakers and discussion of topics of interest. We had a favorite paddle meeting where we brought examples of our paddles and why we like them. We just sponsored a couple of kids to a paddling summer camp. Some years we have offered over 100 paddle opportunities.
Our club recently got back to our charter and reorganized under the Common Adventure Model. In truth it was the way we operated. Basically that means that you are responsible for your own skills, equipment, decisions and safety. Everyone in the group watches out for each other. We also purchased liability insurance which covers you and everyone else on the paddle. We endeavor to bring along new paddlers, but ultimately it is a sport with risks and you take them under your own supervision. Club $15 dues and signing the insurance waiver are required annually. New members must sign the insurance waiver before attending any club event. There is a 30 day trial period in which to pay the dues. Meetup will automatically remove, from the group, any new member who has not paid the dues within 30 day. They also automatically remove members who do not renew annually.
Many of our members started with a sit-on-top, or sit-in recreational kayaks. They came and saw what we were doing and decided to make upgrades to their equipment. The best way to determine if our paddle events are right for you is to look through the past trips. Read the descriptions and look at the pictures. If you can do some or all of them, you fit right in. Take a look at the paddle trip and skills ratings sheet. Following this welcome letter you fill find information and links to the group information and procedures.
In any event, we like to go and have fun in our boats with friends. If this is something you are in to, come on out, join the club, and go on the paddles!
How to Pay Dues:
Dues are collected through Meetup via WePay Will change soon (a Chase Company).
1) Click the 'Join this Group' in the Red Box on the FSK-Meetup home page.
2) Log in with your Meetup id and password. (If none, sign up with email and create an id)
3) It will take you to WePay where you may pay by credit card.
How to Sign the Insurance Waiver: (required when first joining and at the beginning of each following year)
1) Download the Fillable 2020 Insurance Waiver with this link:
(Please ignore Dropbox's attempts to persuade you to create a Dropbox account or download their ap. You do NOT need to do either. Nor do you need to login to Dropbox.)
2) Once you have the Waiver PDF file, type in your information and SAVE the file on your computer. (Adobe Reader allows filling in information fields and saving file)
3) Print and sign the completed form. (See Footnote if you have an Electronic Signature)
4) Scan the signed form and save to your computer.
5) Upload the signed waiver to the club Dropbox using the following link:
(Footnote) If you have a registered electronic signature, use it to sign electronically and then skip to Step 5 to upload. No need to print the form. (You can register an electronic signature with Adobe or other websites if you would like to create one.)
1. What is a kayak? The club primarily paddles sea kayaks followed by SOT and Rec Kayaks. For a more detailed explanation see the following wiki links.
…Sea Kayaks… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_kayak Sit-on-Top kayak... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayak#Sit-on-top
2. What is the Skills and Trip level sheet...this sheet lists skill levels and trip conditions levels. It gives definitions of the skills required for certain trip level conditions. The main thing to remember is that time does not indicate skill level. You might have kayaked for ten years but skill wise you're still a "beginner", level 1 or 2.
See the link https://www.meetup.com/Florida-Sea-Kayak-Meetup/photos/26047477/458722097/ in our photo section.